August 18, 2006

OBON

How are you all?
How do you spend your life this summer?

We have an OBON holiday in Japan.
Generally the 13th through 16th of August is called OBON.
OBON is a Buddhist event. OBON and New Year’s holiday are the most important events for Japanese.
During OBON, people visit their family, hometown, grandparents, or travel.

When I was a little girl, my family went to beach in the north of Hyogo prefecture, and we had Japanese BBQ at the beach, fireworks…
I remember we have spent OBON with about 20 people and rent a bus to the beach, and at that time, my dad’s friend was Japanese mafia, so he had a tattoo on the whole body.
I have the picture with them. I wasn’t scared with that kind of people when I was small, that was my life :)

Recently how I spend my OBON ??
Last year and this year I had a kids camp with Sunday school kids (only elementary school students). Also I joined a young adult camp of my friend’s church this year.

KIDS CAMP during Aug.12-14
I had fun time with kids.
I couldn’t follow the spirit of children. We were supposed to get up at 6:30, but they got up at 5:30, 6:00 and were playing UNO (card game)…
They liked moving around, spent a lot of energy, still they had energy to play…
I was falling asleep while playing UNO with them, and they told me to take a nap, so I took a nap without hesitation. They were very surprised at me because I was taking a nap in the room (actually next to them) where they were doing a forward, playing cards, were frolicking.
Yes, I can sleep wherever I want :D

BIC Camp during Aug.14-16
I went to Hakusan-cho in Mie prefecture where there are a lot of ONSEN (hot spring).
There is a Hakusan Agape Kitou In (Christian amenity where we can stay) there.
This camp was held by Japan Brethren in Christ, and the theme was “PEACE”.
Some people were sharing us about their trip to Korea and we had a chance to think about problems between Japan and South Korea, war…

I got a lot of new brothers and sister in Christ, it was awesome!
I had a really good time with them praising songs, discussing, playing in the river, diving to the river, eating a lot of food, going to hot spring…

My company was closed from Aug. 12th to Aug. 16th, and then I got a paid holiday on 17th.
I got up late on 17th, visited my grandma in a hospital in the afternoon, and went to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of my city to attend a meeting.
And today I’m working,
Well, my boss is in India, and still we don’t have so many things to do f^_^;

No comments: